As you prepare to make the transition from the predominately classroom environment to the clinical world of the clerkships, IUSM provides specific content as well as protective health measures to help smooth the transition. In June , you will have Orientation/GLIC and attendance at the sessions is mandatory.
Even students who are scheduled for a vacation month as their first rotation must attend the general orientation and all associated intersessions beginning in June.
In addition, there are a variety of activities both during Orientation/GLIC and that you must complete in advance.
As you begin to think about licensing exams, take a look at USMLE Overview.
To get an idea of what the registration process is like, see the USMLE Sample Registration Form.
It's never too early to think about specialities. Visit Careers In Medicine — an AAMC Website.
As your second year progresses, you will also need to plan for Third-year Rotations, using these resources:
- Block Rotation Calendar -- SAMPLE
- Family Medicine Locations 2012-2013 -- SAMPLE
- You will need a smartphone for Clinical Encounters Tracking (CET). Be sure to check on the specifications for the coming academic year, as they may change.
Planning Farther Ahead: Roadmap to Residency
Please go to Financial Aid webpage for more information.
Instructions for Adding the Indianapolis MS1 and/or MS2 Calendars to Your Shared Calendars in Outlook
Using the Desktop or IUanyWare version of Outlook (2010 or 2013)
- Select Calendar from the left menu (Outlook 2010) or bottom menu (Outlook 2013)
- Select Open Calendar then Open Shared Calendar from the top menu
- In the Name field, enter ms1indy for the MS1 Indianapolis calendar or ms2indy for the MS2 Indianapolis calendar
- The calendar will show up in your list of Shared Calendars (aka People's Calendars in the Outlook web app)
Using the Outlook web app (Exchange 2013)
- Login with your IU username and passphrase
- Select Calendar on the top menu (if calendar is in the left menu see the 2010 instructions below)
- Right click People's Calendars on the left menu and select Open Calendar
- In the From Directory field, enter ms1indy for the MS1 Indianapolis calendar or ms2indy for the MS2 Indianapolis calendar
- Select Open
- The calendar will show up in your list of People's Calendars (aka Shared Calendars in the Desktop version)