New Student Checklist
Congratulations on your admission to the IU School of Medicine! We wish you great success in your medical training.
These pages will help to guide you through preparations for orientation. Be sure to check regularly for new postings.
Office of Student Affairs is located in the VanNuys Medical Science Building. The main office in MS 160 is open from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. Tel: (317) 274-1965 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Checklist of Activities Leading Up to Orientation
- Receive letter of acceptance from IUSM Admissions.
- Your status in the IU Computer system will change from applicant to admitted. (This may take several days).
- In the meantime, follow these links to get excellent background information:
- New Student FAQ — Medical Student Career — 4 year overview
- Student Handbook
- Service and Engagement
- Specific Campus Security Alerts
- Academic calendar access
- Technology Overview
- IUWare (Free software)
- IU School of Medicine Communications
- Events (Orientation and White Coat Ceremony)
- Financial Aid — New Students page
- Disabilities Accomodations Policy
- The Survival Guide (advice from students)
- Roadmap to Residency
- Tour the Life (student blogs)
- Why should you create an IUPUI email address and direct it to Exchange email?
Key communication from IUSM will be routed EXCLUSIVELY to your IUPUI Exchange email address. How you go about setting up your computing accounts depends on your history or lack of history with IU. The Computing Access for New Students page will guide you through the process.
To use your new IUPUI Exchange email, go to http://www.exchange.iu.edu.
- Apply for financial aid (317-274-8568).
- Very likely, you will want to purchase a laptop. (At the IUware site, a wide range of software is availabe for free download by students.)
- During this transition, please provide up-to-date contact information to the registrar's office (317-274-1970).
- All entering medical students must meet established health requirements and have them completed and signed by your physician and send to the following address. Alternatively, you can scan them to email@example.com.
ATT: Elaine Delbecq, RN, MSN, MPA
IUPUI Health Services
1140 West Michigan Street, CF 100
Indianapolis, IN 46202
- Canvas is the course management system used by the IU School of Medicine. In early July, we will notify you by email that your Canvas access is ready. At that time, login to test your access and to find out more about orientation.
- Visit the MS1 page to locate campus-specific information.
- Attend orientation and White Coat Ceremony in August.
- Registration/Due Date: The Medical Student Affairs Office will not register you for fall courses until late July or early August. Bills are electronic; a paper bill is not mailed. A notification is sent to the student's IUPUI email address letting them know a bill is ready for pick up.
The balance of the student account, their current bill, plus their electronic bill history can be viewed by the student or their designated third party via the One.iu portal. Only students whose financial aid does not fully cover all of their medical fees will receive an electronic notification. This notification is scheduled to be sent on August 3 and will carry a due date of August 17. An itemized bill will be available for all students via OneStart after the first Tuesday of August.
- Looking way beyond…For an overview of your four years of medical school and where it leads, take a look at the Roadmap to Residency.