LCME (MD) SCHOOLS IN THE U.S. AND PUERTO RICO
COCA ACCREDITED AACOM MEMBER (DO) COLLEGES
Use these instructions if you are an M.D. student currently enrolled at an LCME accredited U.S. medical school or a D.O. student currently enrolled at a COCA ACCREDITED AACOM school.
Any student currently enrolled at an LCME accredited U.S or Puerto Rico School of Medicine or a COCA ACCREDITED AACOM Doctor of Osteopathy school who has completed, or will have completed, his/her clinical clerkship training before starting an elective, is eligible to apply for guest student elective study at the Indiana University School of Medicine. Generally, a qualified applicant will be limited to one month of elective study. The IUSM 2015-16 Electives Catalog is available now.
For electives beginning July 1, 2015, IUSM will only accept MD student applications through the American Association of Medical Colleges (AAMC) Visiting Student Application Service (VSAS) online system. See http://www.aamc.org/students/medstudents/vsas/ for current VSAS information or call (202) 478-9878.
In addition to the VSAS application, please submit the following application materials:
- Application Processing Fee of $50 per approved elective. This payment can be made by either check or money order, payable to Indiana University School of Medicine (IUSM). This payment will only be due after a course is approved and accepted by the student.
- Immunization Forms - This can be printed from the VSAS site or at the supplemental document website below and must be completed and signed by your physician. IUSM will only accept its own immunization form. Up-to-date immunization form with ppd within one year as well an IPV or OPV Polio vaccination report required. Sign and upload with your VSAS application request. If any part of your immunization form is out of date, processing of your application will be delayed.
- Please Upload a copy of your USMLE STEP 1 OR COMLEX LEVEL 1 board score for departmental use. Some IUSM departments will not review your application without it.
- For those interested in the IUSM Anesthesia elective 93AN710, please address a letter of interest regarding the residency to Dr. David Nakata and upload as a supplemental document with your application request. The letter should be no longer than three paragraphs and include your USMLE board scores.
- For those interested in the IUSM Emergency Medicine elective 93ZE720, please address a letter of interest regarding the residency to Jim Graber and upload with your application request as a supplemental document. The letter should be no longer than three paragraphs and include your USMLE board scores. Please contact EM student coordinator Jim Graber firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss availability of this elective.
- Proof of BLS certification and Criminal Background check must be noted by your coordinator.
Note: IUSM has several courses in our school website based catalog that you might not see offered via VSAS. If there is a course you have interest in that is unavailable here, please contact us at email@example.com.
Required VSAS Supporting Document: