Most students who purchase computers for medical school choose laptops for the convenience — even though there are days when they leave them at home.
Windows laptops are in the majority on campus, which means that some applications may be a bit more compatible with PCs. But Macs certainly have their following, and the Leopard operating system allows Mac owners to switch conveniently between the Windows and Mac environment.
We are sensitive to the financial needs of matriculating students. If you apply for financial aid, a one-time budget adjustment of up to $3000 can be approved for a computer purchase or upgrade. This budget adjustment will be made upon receipt of documentation of the expense via the Computer Budget Adjustment Worksheet (CBAW) included in your financial aid materials. The adjustments allow for additional loan eligibility in the financial aid process to cover the costs. (If you did not receive a CBAW, contact the Office of Student Financial Services in the medical school.)
The financial aid office will communicate the details on how this process will work. For questions concerning financial aid to cover the cost of the computer purchase, please contact Jose Espada (email@example.com).
UITS, IU's technology department, computer recommendations, hardware deals with vendor, software available for download:
- Computer Guide: Recommendations and common questions
- Deals by vendor
- IUWare Online for Windows
- IUWare Online for Macintosh
- IUWare Online for Linux
- IUWare Picks
Contact Computer Support with questions.
IUWare — A Few of the Essentials (Windows versions)
This sofware is available for Windows or Macs. (Platform is detected, but if you need to access the alternative platform, there are links at the bottom of the IUWare web page.)Although it's not listed here, Microsoft Office is also a free download from IUWare.
- Security (antivirus, Antispyware, etc)
- Utilities (zip and expand, file transfer, etc)
- Office 2007
- Document Readers (Foxit Reader is small and fast.)
- Operating Systems
- Adobe Creative Suite CS4 (Complete suites of Adobe's best tools)
- and much more...
IUWare Networking/Connectivity Tools
Please note that if you use IU Secure for your wireless connection, you will not need VPN.
- IU Wireless Configuration Wizard for Windows Vista and Windows XP Service Pack 3
- IU Wireless Configuration Wizard for Windows XP Service Pack 2
- IU Wireless Configuration Wizard for Windows 7
- PPP Wizard 4.0 for IUPUI (use for dial-up connections)
- UITS Printer Locator for Windows
- UITS Printer Locator for Mac
- Windows 7/Vista/XP 32-bit VPN Installer for IUPUI for off-campus
- Windows 7/Vista/XP 64-bit VPN Installer for IUPUI for off-campus